#WorldTeachersDay: Tribute To My Teachers

Over the course of my life, I have been blessed by wonderful teachers- both formal and informal.

Throughout the years of adolescence, when I was at my most vulnerable state, when I was still struggling to reconcile myself to the adult world, there were a few who stood by me and helped me through our moments of uncertainty. These people  include my parents, teachers and pastor (s).

My parents, mum especially, were my first teachers. They taught me life values needed to navigate life. Through their life styles, my parents mirrored life, more than any formal teaching would have done. My parents taught me that there was nothing I couldn't achieve if I put my mind to it. They taught me that gender was no barrier to greatness and success. They taught me the value of hard work, discipline and contentment. Above all, they taught me how to love and depend on Jesus.

Next came my Grade 3 teacher in D-Nals Middle School- Ms. Ijeoma Okam. Ms Ijeoma was the first person who recognized my love for writing. She would always take out time to read whatever short story I wrote. She encouraged me to take part in the first Spelling Bee my school had then.  Ms Ijeoma was just awesome. The last time I saw her in 2014, the first question she asked was, 'have you written any new stories'? That's how great she is!

In D-nals High School​, I had lots of great teachers, but Mr Arodio Remy was absolutely the best. He made Literature-in-English so much fun. He had a way with words and his Shakespearean persona was absolutely amazing. I remember him telling me in my final year in High School, that I must not stop at a BSc but must strive to acquire other degrees. He was, in fact, the first person who ever called me 'Prof'.

Then came University of Port Harcourt and Dr Obed Ojukwu. If you have ever had a teacher who took time care, who inspired your dreams or changed your life, then you know teachers can and do make a big difference in the life of students. Late Dr Obed Ojukwu, my academic mentor was all of those and more. He taught me how to think out side the box. He taught me how to challenge myself (If you do a research on NigComSat and Satelite Expedition in Nigeria, you will understand the true meaning of C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E). Dr Obed was an academic par excellence raised to power 2!




The Presiding Pastor of Royalty Assembly International​ , Pastor Anya Oko​ has been such a huge blessing. He is my mentor, life coach, teacher, counselor and above all, my pastor.

My brief remarks today are inspired by all the extraordinary people who sacrificed greatly and contributed richly to the  person I am today.  Today, I recognize the great sacrifices that my teachers have made for me, also celebrate  those who have taken up the task of educating me, and guiding me through life itself.

 Today, I honour all my  teachers, past and present, all of you who have in one way or another, played a part in the shaping of who I am and who I am yet to be.

God bless all teachers sacrificing their all to educate us and our children. Thank you and God bless you.


N.B: Dr Obed Ojukwu, continue to rest in peace. You are greatly missed by me. So many questions to ask, so may gossips to share, but all of those won't be shared because you are not here.

Comments

  1. Teachers are so awesome. My Maths teacher in SS1 was instrumental to changing my life. I am an engineer today because he totally turned around my hatred for mathematics. God bless teachers. Great one Prof!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?

HAIR CHRONICLES

PS: This Is Not A Rant