GIRL… BOY… WAREFA!



When I decided to start a blog, I didn't think it was going to be a stroll in the pack. Yeah, I know I am a lot of things, but delusional isn't one of them. So after my opening two posts post which garnered me quite a few comments (and had me feeling like some nouveau riche super star), major panic mode set in. What was I going to post next? How will I get inspiration? What if I have writer's block? (Seriously, I know one doesn't have to Chinua Achebe to have one).

So, there I was, taking a walk round the beautiful Gwarinpa neighborhood and mentally dissecting recent issues hitting up the polity, when I found it- my muse. You know that feeling you get when you find something and you instinctively know you have to stop and take a second look? Well, this one was in the form of a small crowd gathered in front of this beautiful house. As I got closer, I imagined that probably someone had died because everyone was trying to talk at once, and you could catch the occasional Naija, “eeyah”, “na wa o, “my dear just hand it over to God…”
Anyways, as a Mass Communication graduate, my almost non-existent journalistic curiosity reared its head and I knew I had to find out what the matter was. Upon inquiry, I was told that the woman was crying because she had just had a third baby girl and consequently, her husband had kicked her out. This woman was standing outside her house, in a chilly Abuja weather, straddling a  3- day old baby because somewhere in her chauvinistic husband's mind, having three baby girls is a cardinal sin. And to crown it all, his poor wife is to blame too!

 There and then, I knew I had to write about it and if possible get the views of people on it. because I don't get  why we (yes, you and I and every other thing human) enjoy to put ourselves under unnecessary mental and psychological torture. I mean, we, by ourselves, for ourselves, with ourselves, carry ourselves, and hand over to problem. Last time I checked we are still doing that.  I honestly cannot U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D why in this God given 21st century, we are still tormenting ourselves over, 'it's a girl again, chai, chineke'! We keep bugging the Almighty who finished and submitted his dissertation on “The Act of Creation” more than 2000 years ago, about how we won't let him go if he doesn't bless us with a male child. Like seriously???
There are millions of couples who will do practically anything to have just one baby they could call theirs. Whereas, some others are somewhere else, killing themselves over the sex of their baby.

Now don't get it twisted, I'm not saying it’s wrong to desire something, male kids included. Science has even made it easier for couples to per-determine the sex of their babies . All I'm saying is that something is terribly wrong in desiring something so much so that we lose sight of what we already have. To quote the scriptures, 'Children (male and female alike) are THE HERITAGE OF THE LORD (emphasis mine)! Children are said to be God’s blessing. They bring happiness and joy to a person’s life. God does not differentiate between a male and a female child, then why is it that people do? Something is mightily wrong with a man kicking his wife out of the house (this 21st century!) for being delivered of a female child.


For Pete’s sake, we are supposed to be in the jet age, and therefore know better. Back in the day it used to be that a boy was more important than a girl as a means to carry on the family name and take over the duties of the male role in the household as his father became older and eventually died. It is not like that these days. Any gender can take up any role in the society. The saying that what a man can do, a woman can do even better has never been truer than in present times. If that were so, why do we have to still deal with the harsh reality of the preference of male children to female. Why is it so?  Why should it even matter? Why does the sex of your child make a difference? Girl or boy it is still your very own flesh and blood? How can one have the heart to discriminate between their kids?
 
Why is it that a boy is given so much preference over a girl? What makes him so much more special than a girl? After giving birth to a baby girl how can one have the heart to discard her in a dumpster while she is alive for the only reason that she is a female and not a male. A baby regardless of its sex should be loved, cherished and looked after and it being a girl should not change the way one should feel about their child.


All over the world from Africa, to the Middle East, and even countries like the United States of America, stories abound of discrimination against female babies. China, for instance, has a law where couples are allowed to have just one child but does that justify killing the girl to be able to have a boy later? If that isn’t the height of injustice, I wonder what is.

If my future husband is reading this, he should know that I don’t care one way or another about the sex of my babies. I don’t care if I have 8 girls (by the way, I am one of 8 girls given birth to by my mother, and trust me, i wouldn't have it any other way), as long as they are healthy, I am good to go. Let us all join hands together and put an end to the discrimination against babies- whether boy or girl. Children are such huge blessings and should therefore be treated as such.






XoXo
Nawtiprof.

Comments

  1. Nice one darl.. Keep it up.. Making me proud..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mehn, Prof Ukay, you are such a writer! And I am so glad that through your glasses, you are bringing these ugly issues up for public discourse. Any human being who discriminates against a child on the basis of sex doesn't deserve to live. This man you mentioned in ur article deserved to be castrated. If he doesn't know that in the first place, male children are determined by the man himself and secondly, a baby is a baby irrespective of genr, then I wonder what he is doing alive. As for me o, na you I dey follow...girl o, boy o, I no send. They are all God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you IJ for your beautiful contribution

      Delete
  3. One word: CLASSIC! I am so proud of you UK. Keep it up dearie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's igbo culture and I don't think is bad just how people interpret it. They should know its not the end of the world if no male child. I don't support the action.
    D-man

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweety, keep speaking up against the ills in the society. It a crime against God and humanity to discriminate against children on the basis of sex or any other. Children are God's blessings and so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prof I luv this pretty girl in your the article o. Wish I could have one as hers...nicely written dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous, just marry a woman who looks like her and and u are good to go. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. Ukaa I have always known you to be a very intelligent girl. More grease to your elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prof, I think this issue is one every intending couple has to critically discuss before they say I DO. Unfortunately, we get so carried away with lovey dovey things that we don't talk about the real substance of life. I want to believe that this couple never talked about the issue of sex of babies and whether they matter or not. Let this be a lesson to all single people intending to get married.talk about this with you fiance. Don't say love covers all. Reality awaits you after all the 'I love yous' are said. On the issue of the abusive husband, he should be arrested and properly dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martins I really luv ur contribution. Thanks a lot. I agree with u that all intending couples should use the courtship period to tie up all loose ends such as this. To avoid stories that touch when the babies start coming.

      Delete
  9. Issues like this just get me upset. I heard of a woman that died while giving birth to her 8th child all because her husband needed a male child badly and she already had 7 girls. People should realise that all children are the same irrespective if the gender. It's a pity so many people are still far behind with this neolithic mindset. Nice piece UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I luk at my mum and I marvel at the wonders of God. She had to go thru nine pregnancies because of a male child. Well, I guess I should be grateful for that cos otherwise, I may not have even existed. Its really sad Bimbo but its a reality on ground. Female babies are still been discriminated against. I hope that young adults like us and help put a stop to it.

      Delete
  10. Issues like this just get me upset. I heard of a woman that died while giving birth to her 8th child all because her husband needed a male child badly and she already had 7 girls. People should realise that all children are the same irrespective if the gender. It's a pity so many people are still far behind with this neolithic mindset. Nice piece UK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear, thank you for this piece. I have 3 girls and I often feel like my husband would rather one of them were a boy. He says he doesn't mind, but I don't believe him. He is an igbo man and his mother often makes some comments that I choose to ignore. My friendsds have advised me to plan and have a male child or else my husband will get one else where. I am so confused. What do I do? I honestly don't want to go through another pregnancy and at the same time, I don't want problems in my marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madam Anonymous thank you so much for commenting. I want to say that I am no relationship expert but I will advise that you listen to your husband. You know him better than anyone. If he says he doesn't mind, why don't you believe him? Love is also a faith thing. Have faith in your husband and trust him. Also, try as much as possible to stay away from "friends" with lots of negative energy who have the 'divine' mandate of sniffing out marital problems where none exitsted before. Keep praying for your family and your mother-in-law. God is still in the business of turning hearts around. Peace to you and your family.

      Delete
  13. God bless you so much my dear. Your advice is filled with so much wisdom. I can't thank you enough. I appreciate the fact that you take time to respond to the comments of your readers. It speaks volume about the kind of person you are. Keep up the good work. You just got yourself a new fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a full fledged African man and I truly desire to have male children. I however don't condone throwing out a woman with her new born. No body deserves that kind of treatment. The couple in question could have considered adoption as another alternative to getting their heart desires. #just saying#

    ReplyDelete
  15. Achi, I luv dis. Keep speaking up against the ills in the society okay? I am proud d'ya (in Will Smith's voice)...lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Babe for your mind you don turn relationship counsellor abi? Sha, I dey feel ur reply to one of the reader's question. Make brain die. You have a good head on ur shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice one Myne dear. I refuse to dignify the act of throwing a wife out of the house for stupid reasons with a response. Any man that still needs to be told that if they train a female child, they train a generation is an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks @Sharonspeaks.blogspot.com. When writers like you think what I wrote is nice, its a big boost to my literary ego.

      Delete
  18. UK dear, I go like be your future husband o, but the 8 girls thing is a bit scary. Can we negotiate on that please? I luv baby girls, especially if they look anything like you (ultra gorgeous...) But having 8 of them means spending most of the money I would have used to take you on a boat cruise across 4 continents on their clothes, brazilian hair and make ups..(And all the other stuff you women craze about)...lol. So lemme know the date and time where we can meet to sign this mega deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg Stan, you are so hilarious..lmao. Ummm, about this mega deal thing, I hope its in the range of Gareth Bale's Real Madrid contract? Cos anytn less, and the deal is so off.

      Delete
    2. You know how we do na Prof..nothing but the best for you. So whatchu say (in jason derulo's voice)? When are we meeting my in-laws?

      Delete
    3. Stan if I catch you eh...hahahahaha

      Delete
  19. Adesoye Oba Obong Eze Ebunafor 126 September 2013 at 02:33

    hmmmmm mistresspiece. Now i think Nigerian men(learned or not) needs to be educated on this issue that the sex of a child is actually determined by the chromosome X or Y donated by the .... abeg am not a biologist what am saying is guys determine the sex that is if my biology teacher taught me well. Now Myne You get 8 ladies for your family? and your papa na Ibo? Nna Ehn too much money from dowry o

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oba u know every na...and lmao @ 'mistresspiece'. U funny die. So as for the 8 girls, na plenty 'markate na' #in igbo's boy's voice#.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?

HAIR CHRONICLES

PS: This Is Not A Rant