The Nigeria Of My Dreams

 The time is 10.15PM. Date is September 30th, 2013. Today is Independence Day eve in Nigeria. In a few hours time, it will be October 1st- The day Nigeria celebrates her independence from Great Britain. 
 If today were 15years ago, I would have been giddy with excitement; unable to sleep. 15years ago, I would have been prancing about the living room while staring at the giant wall clock in our sitting room, inwardly cursing daylight for taking longer than usual to come.  From time to time, I would have run back to my room to make sure that my well ironed March Past uniform, together with my pair of socks and gloves were still neatly laid out on the bed, where I had left them since 9am in the morning. Each trip to the room would have taken me past the standing mirror, where I would pause at intervals to admire my new corn row hairstyle. It wasn’t my fault you see.  Back then, October 1st was a huge deal. Smiles. Yeah, even though my only understanding of the significance of Independence Day was simply a by-product of the ceremonial connotations of October 1st, it still didn’t matter. It was October 1st, full stop!
As the years flew by, maturity set in (and with it a good amount of cynicism) and va-va-vroom! Independence Day ceased to make sense. It became boring, predictable and irrelevant. For instance, I can accurately predict what will happen tomorrow. You think I can’t? Well, check it out:
The president will present a ‘Fellow Nigerians’ speech that many of us Nigerians will listen to, only so we can pick holes at parts of the speech where in we feel the GCFR goofed. In another time, before the advent of Boko Haram, various schools would have taken part in March Pasts across the federation. However, considering the state of the nation at the moment, I am willing to bet my Sunday Chicken that the usual October 1st March Pasts or open gathering of any kind might be cancelled.
Other individuals will take their loved ones to nice places for a treat (while keeping their eyes wide open, and senses on high alert for the ‘BH’ boys...one can never be too relaxed in Naija these days). Whatever celebratory activities will go down tomorrow, one thing is almost certain- various Independence Day prayers and other religious activities will definitely be on the list.
You see, we Nigerians are a pious, religious bunch. Independence Day celebration isn’t complete without the all important prayer for Nigeria. This next line may well shock you. As Independence Day comes up, Nigeria doesn’t need more prayers. What??? Yeah, I know right? You are shocked. But, seriously, don’t be. Don’t pray nothing! We all like church and this call for a ‘non-prayer filled independence day’ has challenged every single thing you know about prayer. You may even be incensed right now and itching to land one strong slap on this my black face for heresies. But before you do that, just hang on a sec.
 For 52 years, we have prayed and prayed, yet no result. We have the biggest church auditorium in the world right here in Nigeria. The average street in Nigeria is home to not less than five different churches. Yet, it is in the history of this nation that we have never had it so bad. I am not gonna bore you with details of the hellish realities of Nigeria. That much has already been over flogged.  A wise man once said that only a fool does the same thing over and over while expecting different results. Every October 1st, Nigerians gather in their numbers to ‘bind’, ‘cast’, ‘declare’ and ‘claim’ all sorts of things, yet, status quo remains unchanged. We keep praying for a better Nigeria- the Nigeria of our dreams to no avail. Shouldn’t that tell us something? The problem isn’t with God (obviously, if I might chirp that in). The problem is with us. You know why? God has answered the prayer for the Nigeria of our dreams, a looooong time ago. The answer is you and I.
Yes honey, you and I are the answers to all the prayers for a better Nigeria.  You were created for a time like this- to be the solution bearer. You and I are the change Nigeria needs.
What is the Nigeria of your dreams? Begin to make it happen. Whether we like it or not, more prayers isn’t just gonna cut it. if it hasn’t worked in 52 years, chances are it aint gonna work on October 1st 2013. Decide to commit yourself to making the Nigeria of your dreams a reality. It’s time to talk less and do more. We cannot continue to leave the affairs of our great nation to a bunch of shylocks! We have done that for so long, and the present Nigeria is the result of our nonchalance. It’s time to put our money where our mouths are and get involved in creating this Nigeria of our dreams for our children and  generations yet unborn.
The Nigeria of our dreams is possible. We are the ones who will bring it to bear. I am ready to play my part to make this a reality. Are you? Today, more than ever, I make the commitment to be the change I wish to see in my neighbourhood, in my state, in Nigeria.  No matter how little, no matter how seemingly insignificant, step by step, little by little, that Nigeria of our dreams will become a reality if we despair not. Why don’t you join me in this quest for the actualisation of the Nigeria of our dreams? Because then, and only then, will Independence day truly mean something.
 God bless Nigeria.


XoXo
NAWTIprof

Comments

  1. Kai, prof, you know how to keep me hooked, from the first word to the last. U also succeeded in making me laugh. I am rotflao @ 'the fellow nigerians speech'. Lol, nepa don take light for my area so I no fit watch for tv. All the same thank you for not rehashing all of naija's obvious problems here. U have just challenged me girl. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IJ dear, glad you have something to laugh about. and i tender my unreserved apologies on behalf of Nepa...or sorry, my bad phcn. e go beta my dear, lol. thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Nice one prof, hmmmm u go say u don engage me abi...I read and i was like,.wow, so we still have such good writer, well I was happier cos that writer z my sis!....keep e up hun!....c u @ d top!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks bro...i still dey here dey blush since i read ur comment. u know how we do na...gotta rep bad.

      Delete
  3. Now I know how u came by that bounce in ur step when you walk. U never told me u were on the March Past squad prof. Thank you for bringing back those beautiful memories. Your opening paragraph took me straight to my primary and secondary school days. Seems just like yesterday. And like IJ said, thank you for challenging us to go out and make the Nigeria of our dreams a reality. Truth is, we are that good lead we have been praying to God for. I hereby join u in the commitment to actualising the Nigeria of our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own Bosslady, i have no doubt that you are one of those God will use o bring the change we need in this country. I am solidly behind you as my madam at the top.

      Delete
  4. Ukay you never cease to inspire me. Thank you for this ost. at a time when most Nigerians are disillusioned and wondering which way forward, this post seeks to remind us that we are the leaders we have been praying and waiting for. Like you, i make the commitment to be the change i want to see in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the prof slams and dunks yet again. Bravo! we are the change we seek. Nigeria will shine again as a result of young people taking the decision to bring to fruition those dreams we have about our nation. I AM ONE OF THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey prof, i applaud your boldness for putting up this article but i have to state categorically that i disagree with parts of it. how can you say a country in Nigeria doesnt need more prayers? what do you think has been keeping us together? even the bible says we should pray without ceasing, while also admonishing us to continually pray for those in authority. We can never pray enough for Nigeria and it is wrong of you to say we shouldnt pray for her. This is just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prince, I appreciate your comment. I am not, however, saying that prayer is wrong or that we shouldn't pray for Nigeria. I am only saying we should not pray our naija kind of prayer where we relinquish all responsibilities to God and His angels. Truth is, we refuse to do what we should do because we expect God to do everytn for us. Problem is, God isn't going to do that. Cos we are here for a reason and we have to take full responsibility for the creation of the Nigeria of our dreams.

      Delete
  7. Ukay na trouble you dey find with this your post o...hmmmmm. i'm waiting for the onslaught i know will definitely follow it. Nigerians don't joke with religion at all at all....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maxwell I dey wait with one eye open o...lol. We have got to d point where we need to tell ourselves d truth no matter how much we hate to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ukay i agree with you. the kind of prayers we offer for nigeria is meaningless if you ask me. everyone wants to pray cos that's easy to do but no one wants to do the right things in order to fix this nation. keep up the good work jare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearie, this is another great article, forgive my late post. Nigeria should stop holding on to religion and focus on what matters. Whoever says we need prayers should tell me why we do. do we have problems that have never before been witnessed in any country all over the world? Are we the only nation with corrupt leaders? No!

    We have sat in our houses over the years, never complaining about the power situation, no housing scheme and all the other troubles until it almost choked us to death! Now is not the time to pray. All the times we kept quiet praying, nothing happened. Faith without work is dead!

    So is praying every independence day and not doing anything to hold our leaders accountable. The only pastors we need to see on Independence day in Nigeria are those like Martin Luther King who touched lives through peaceful demonstration. Which in itself, is a way of saying 'we will not fold our arms and watch injustice thrive'

    I didn't even notice the independence day because we are not independent yet. until we attain a level of maturity, we are not qualified to be called independent in my estimation. I rest my case

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon dear, thanks for dropping your comment. I know God is raising an army of responsible young people who will fix this great nation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?

HAIR CHRONICLES

PS: This Is Not A Rant